Top Four Uses of Delta
May 17, 2016
By: Josh Fabian
Delta is arguably the most important and most often discussed option risk metric. Delta can tell us a lot about our positions and portfolio. There are four main uses for delta we all should understand.
Deltas communicate the amount an option’s price will change when its underlying stock’s price changes $1.00, and are expressed as either positive or negative numbers. Positive delta has a bullish directional bias while negative delta expresses a bearish bias. If we buy an option with a delta of .25 that means for every $1 the stock moves, the option will move $0.25. The inverse is also true. If the stock drops $1, the option will drop $0.25.
Another way we use delta is to understand the equivalent number of shares an option represents. That option with a .25 delta is equivalent to owning 25 shares of the underlying. Therefore, if we want to use an option as a stock equivalent, we can do so by looking at delta. If we are long 75 shares of stock and want to increase that position to 100 shares, we might look to sell a put with .25 deltas or buy a call with .25 deltas.
It makes sense if delta expresses share equivalency that it also works for hedging. One share of stock has one delta. A position of long 75 shares of a stock can be hedged against a drop in the stock’s price by purchasing a put with a .75 delta. Combining stock with option delta allows us to create hedges against individual positions and portfolios as a whole.
The fourth way we use delta is as a measure of probability. Delta is an approximation of the probability an option will be in the money at expiration. An option with a .25 delta has a 25% chance of being in the money at expiration. If we sell an option with a .25 delta, that means we’re looking at a 75% chance that this option will not be in the money at expiration.
Delta is a dynamic number when it comes to understanding our market exposure. It allows us to view positions in terms of direction, shares of stock, hedging and probabilities. We spend a lot of time discussing delta because of the many things it communicates about our trades.
Josh Fabian has been trading futures and derivatives for more than 25 years.
For more on this topic see:
Options involve risk and are not suitable for all investors. Please read Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options before deciding to invest in options.
tastytrade content is provided solely by tastytrade, Inc. (“tastytrade”) and is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not, nor is it intended to be, trading or investment advice or a recommendation that any security, futures contract, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any person. Trading securities can involve high risk and the loss of any funds invested. tastytrade, through its content, financial programming or otherwise, does not provide investment or financial advice or make investment recommendations. Investment information provided may not be appropriate for all investors, and is provided without respect to individual investor financial sophistication, financial situation, investing time horizon or risk tolerance. tastytrade is not in the business of transacting securities trades, nor does it direct client commodity accounts or give commodity trading advice tailored to any particular client’s situation or investment objectives. Supporting documentation for any claims (including claims made on behalf of options programs), comparison, statistics, or other technical data, if applicable, will be supplied upon request. tastytrade is not a licensed financial advisor, registered investment advisor, or a registered broker-dealer. Options, futures and futures options are not suitable for all investors. Prior to trading securities products, please read the Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options and the Risk Disclosure for Futures and Options found on tastyworks.com.
tastyworks, Inc. ("tastyworks") is a registered broker-dealer and member of FINRA, NFA and SIPC. tastyworks offers self-directed brokerage accounts to its customers. tastyworks does not give financial or trading advice nor does it make investment recommendations. You alone are responsible for making your investment and trading decisions and for evaluating the merits and risks associated with the use of tastyworks’ systems, services or products. tastyworks is a wholly owned subsidiary of tastytrade, Inc (“tastytrade”). tastytrade is a trademark/servicemark owned by tastytrade.
Quiet Foundation, Inc. (“Quiet Foundation”) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of tastytrade The information on quietfoundation.com is intended for U.S. residents only. All investing involves the risk of loss. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. Quiet Foundation does not make suitability determinations, nor does it make investment recommendations. You alone are responsible for making your investment and trading decisions and for evaluating the merits and risks associated with the use of Quiet Foundation’s systems, services or products.
Small Exchange, Inc. is a Designated Contract Market registered with the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission. The information on this site should be considered general information and not in any case as a recommendation or advice concerning investment decisions. The reader itself is responsible for the risks associated with an investment decision based on the information stated in this material in light of his or her specific circumstances. The information on this website is for informational purposes only, and does not contend to address the financial objectives, situation, or specific needs of any individual investor. Trading in derivatives and other financial instruments involves risk, please read the Risk Disclosure Statement for Futures and Options. tastytrade is an investor in Small Exchange, Inc.